Banco Latinoamericano (BLX:BUY) Successful reduction in the credit portfolio exposure to Brazil
24-AUG-16 – Banco Latinoamericano (BLX:BUY) Successful reduction in the credit portfolio exposure to Brazil (<20% target set in Q4:15) coupled with increasing credit share of growing economies (Peru, Argentina, Colombia and the Central American region) are expected to drive business to BLX and enhance its prospects over the coming quarters. We reiterate our last BUY rating with an increased price target of $33.00.
- Q2:16 HIGHLIGHTS • Net interest income increased 10% to $38.2 million in Q2:16 from $34.7 million in Q2:15, primarily due to higher lending spreads and increased market rates.
- Net interest margin came in at 2.06% versus 1.79% in Q2:15. Fees and commissions rose 43% to $4.4 million in the quarter, compared to $3.1 million in Q2:15 as the company completed five transactions in the loan structuring and syndication business.
- Net profit surged 10% to $22.3 million in Q2:16 or $0.60 per diluted share from $20.2 million or $0.52 per diluted share in the year earlier quarter, as the company witnessed a healthy growth of 10% and 43% in its net interest income and fees & commissions respectively.
- The average interest earning assets under Commercial Loan Portfolio segment fell 8.7% over Q2:15 levels to $6.8 billion.
- Brazil represented 18% of the overall (Commercial & Treasury) outstanding credit loan portfolio, down from 27% in Q2:15.