Buys and Buys Long-Term | Singular Research Weekly Digest
Buys and Buys Long-Term Weekly Digest
Portfolio Update Week of October 23
- As the presidential election holds the market hostage until clarity is reached, it may be signaling ambivalence with Biden leading by 6% in the IBD / TIPP survey, one of the more accurate polls from 2016. The Rasmussen poll (another accurate poll from 2016) shows that 51% approve of Trump's performance.
- As the election approaches, we are likely to hear more negative news about Covid-19.
- In Europe, new Covid-19 cases are spiking to much higher levels than earlier this year, like what occurred in the U.S. in the early summer in Florida, Arizona, and Texas where cases spiked but mortality did not. It is likely the same effect where younger less vulnerable members of the population are re-entering their normal daily routines and catching Covid-19 yet nearly all are promptly recovering.
- Deal or no deal? As Congress battles, bickers, and promises to hammer out a deal on a possible $2 trillion stimulus package for the economy, small businesses and workers remain in limbo, without any results at this juncture.
- Meanwhile, an outbreak of positive economic news has occurred. Last week the labor department said first time jobless claims have come in better than forecasted. Sales of existing homes have risen for the fourth month in a row. New housing starts are also on the rise sequentially, gaining over 9% from August.
- The index of leading economic indicators increased by 0.7 during September.
- Retail numbers surprise and retail stocks move higher.
- In the Singular Research Coverage universe, Good Natured Products (GDNP.V) has broken out, jumping nearly 100% in the last two weeks, following in the path of fellow plant-based foods industry leader Beyond Meat (BYND), up nearly 150% since we initiated coverage in January.
- New initiation Esports Entertainment Group, Inc. (GMBL) had a good start, increasing nearly 20% before selling off.
- New initiation TravelCenters of America, Inc. (TA) has held its 20% move from last week.
- Meanwhile, ever so quietly behind the scenes the great rotation continues since September 1st as QQQ is down 5% and IWM is up 4%.
- Q3 earnings season has started with beats outweighing misses by a 4/1 margin.
- Soon, we will know the results of the election, likely have a viable vaccine, and have the economy fully reopened.
We continue to like undervalued, out of favor equities in industrial, retail, and financial, all economically sensitive sectors.
For a free trial offer, please call us at 818-222-6234
Tags: Latest Updates